Functions of the Commissioner
About the Point to Point Transport Commission
Working together to achieve safer point to point transport in NSW
Anthony Wing is the Point to Point Transport Commissioner – the regulator for taxis and hire vehicles in NSW.
He was appointed by the Governor, on the recommendation of the Minister for Transport and Roads, the Hon Andrew Constance MP. Minister Constance is responsible for the Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Act 2016 (the Act) and the Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Regulation 2017 (the Regulation).
Functions of the Point to Point Transport Commissioner
Under the Act, the Commissioner has the following functions:
- to administer the Act, including the authorisation and licencing schemes established by the Act
- to manage the enforcement of the Act and the Regulation
- to recommend safety and standards for passenger and booking services
- to assist in the determination of liability for and enforcement of payment of the passenger service levy
- to advise the Minister for Transport and Roads on passenger services and booking services matters
- any other functions imposed on the Commissioner by the Point to Point Transport Act or any other Act.
The Point to Point Taskforce and the Development of the Act
The point to point transport industry has faced a number of challenges in recent years, due largely to new entities entering the market and bringing with them new business models and technologies for customer bookings, trackings and payments. The way services are delivered to customers has fundamentally changed, with many in the community embracing the new systems, services and competitive fares.
The NSW Government recognised the need to respond to these challenges and to create a more adaptive, innovative and competitive environment for the whole industry. And so an independent taskforce was established in 2015 to review the future sustainability of point to point transport in NSW.
The Government accepted 56 of the 57 recommendations made by the taskforce in its final report, which formed the basis of the Act. The Act was passed by both Houses of New South Wales Parliament on 22 June 2016. Click here to read transcripts of the speeches delivered by Minister Constance.
The proposed Regulation was released for public consultation from 11 April 2017 to 9 May 2017, during which time about 215 submissions were received from industry, government agencies and the general public. More information about the consultation process and outcomes is available on the Transport for NSW website. The final Regulation was published on 18 August 2017.
The Commissioner works with industry to ensure they have the knowledge and capability to implement and maintain their own systems for managing safety and to promote industry compliance with the Act and Regulation through education and information.
The Commissioner also facilitates the authorisation of service providers under the law to achieve safer point to point transport in NSW.
Links to more information
- Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Act 2016
- Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Regulation 2017
- Point to Point Transport Taskforce Report - November 2015
- Submissions made to the proposed Regulations
- Point to Point Transport Taskforce Report
- Transport for NSW
- Government Gazettes