With COVID-19 restrictions easing over the Christmas and New Year period, and NSW residents getting out and about this summer in a COVID-safe way, increased passenger numbers are expected in taxis, hire vehicles (including rideshare vehicles) across the state.
We are reminding passengers and drivers to help make every ride a safe ride by implementing a range of safety tips when using point to point transport.
Safety tips for passengers
- Check your ride: If you booked a taxi or rideshare service in advance, check that the vehicle you’re getting into is the one you’re supposed to be in – make sure the number plate and vehicle make and colour is the one your booking says it is;
- Match before you catch: If you’ve booked using an app make sure the photo of the driver on the app matches the person driving the car or if you’re getting into a taxi make sure the driver has their driver ID on display;
- Know your app: Most booking apps have safety features you can utilise. Get to know these features and how your service provider is supporting your safety.
- Share with those who care: Once you are in your taxi or rideshare vehicle share the details of your journey with a friend or family member;
- You can go your own way: You have the right to tell the driver if there’s a route you know and would like to go.
- Back seat, mask up: Sit in the back with your face mask on - your driver will appreciate it!
- Tap and pay: Use contactless payments where possible when travelling in taxis.
- Stay at home: If you’re feeling unwell, you shouldn’t be travelling anywhere. Stay at home and seek medical advice.
- Hands free: Avoid touching multiple surfaces and handle your own luggage when you can.
- Check in – If you are travelling in a taxi using QR code check-ins, make sure you are COVID-safe and check in.
Safety tips for drivers
- Clean show and go: Before your trip, clean your vehicle or visit a vehicle sanitisation station. If you’re a rideshare or hire vehicle driver, make sure your vehicle is displaying a retroreflective sticker. Taxi drivers, make sure you place your ID in the holder before you go
- Check and greet: Check the booking and passenger trip details
- Backseat, mask up: Suggest passengers sit in the back seat with a mask to be COVID safe
- Stay safe: Always take care of yourself and the safety of others
- Scan to check in: If available, ask your passengers to scan the QR code and enter their details to help with contact tracing in taxis
- Tap and pay: Offer contactless payment methods
- Use designated areas: Use the appropriate dedicated taxi ranks, Kiss and Ride or PUDO bays for your point to point service, for the safest set downs and pickups
Secure taxi ranks usually operate late on Friday and Saturday nights in busy locations across NSW. Security guards are on duty to help ensure a safe environment for both customers and drivers.
From Thursday 3 December 2020, additional secure taxi rank services are being provided as part of the Sydney CBD Summer Revitalisation Initiative.
Passengers are encouraged to use the QR code in taxis where available.
For more information on secure rank locations and times visit transportnsw.info
|Name||Secure Taxi Rank Address||Location Link|
201 Sussex Street
Outside Healthline Pharmacy, Darling Park Centre
George Street outside St. Andrew's Cathedral
18a Martin Place
Between Pitt St and Martin Pl
Lime St near Erskine St, King St Wharf
Iron Wharf Pl, outside Sofitel Sydney
On the corner of Loftus St and Reiby Pl
43 – 57 Goulburn Street
Near Cunningham St
The Rocks opposite Clock Tower Square Shopping Centre
On the corner of Pitt St and Park St
Near George St
17 Bridge Street
Near Tankstream Way
61 Market Street
Opposite Sydney Tower Eye
115 Liverpool Street
On the corner of Pitt St and Liverpool St
475 Kent Street
On the corner of Druitt St and Kent St