Reasonably practicable - glossary
Under the Point to Point Transport Act various people have to do what is ‘reasonably practicable’ in ensuring services are safe.
The following should be taken into account when considering whether it would be reasonably practicable to respond to a particular risk or hazard:
- How likely is the risk or hazard?
- How severe are the consequences of the risk?
- What the person knows (or ought to reasonably know) about the risk and ways of eliminating the risk
- What is available and suitable to deal with the risk?
- The cost of the available ways of eliminating or minimising the risk, and whether this cost is grossly disproportionate to the risk