The Point to Point Transport Commissioner supports a streamlined process for placing a taxi plate on hold, taking a taxi plate off hold, replacing a taxi plate, surrendering a taxi plate, and changing registered operators or vehicles.
The following information will take providers of taxi services through the process.
Taxi plate transactions
To complete any of the following taxi plate transactions, a Taxi Plate Transaction application must be submitted by the taxi service provider via the Point to Point Commissioner’s Industry Portal.
- placing a taxi number plate on hold
- taking a taxi plate off hold
- replacing a taxi plate if lost, damaged or stolen
- surrendering a taxi plate
- changing the vehicle or registered operator a taxi plate belongs to
Shortly after the application has been submitted, an automated Transaction Authorisation letter*will be emailed to the nominated email address on file in the Industry Portal. If you do not receive an email please check your junk/spam mail, the email sender name will be P2P Transactions.
The registered operator/owner of the vehicle, or an authorised representative, will need to take this letter to a Service NSW service centre to complete the transaction. Service NSW now only requires this Transaction Authorisation letter from the Commissioner.
To have someone else (an authorised representative) complete the transaction on your behalf, the registered operator/owner of the vehicle or taxi service provider will need to fill out the Representative Authority section of the Number plates and/or cancellation of registration form.
Additionally, to place a plate on hold, the Number Plates and/or Cancellation of Registration form is required to be completed by the registered vehicle operator. This form is available via the Service NSW website.
*Important: In some transactions, the Transaction Authorisation letter will contain an expiry date.
If the Transaction Authorisation letter has passed the expiry date, it is no longer valid and cannot be handed in at a Service NSW service centre. The Plates Management Transaction application must be resubmitted via the Industry Portal.
Resources to help
- The following webcast includes more information and a helpful walk-through video to show the new process.
- A User Guide is also available to explain the process step by step for all taxi plate transactions:
- A Fact Sheet is also available on how to place plates on hold and off hold at Service NSW: